Wednesday, January 9, 2008

They Like Jesus


I was very reluctant to read this book. The reason being is that Kimball’s other tow books left me with more disagreements than agreements. I was so surprised by this book. It is a book that I will be referring to in years to come. I loved how Kimball challenged the leaders to be missionaries, something that has been on my heart for years now. The amazing thing is that I can know pick up his other two books and probably find more agreements. “They Like Jesus” really communicates Kimball’s heart and so you can take his other books and process them clearly and with a more open heart. Maybe it is that I have grown a little too since the time I read his other books.

Anyway, I believe that the hot topic that this book addresses and the church, in general, will need to address is women in leadership. I believe that this presidential election will have the deep ramifications on the church. I have a feeling that the next president will be a Democrat. I also believe that Hilary Clinton has a strong chance at it. Now I say this not knowing who I will vote for yet. I still have to complete my own research on the candidates. But, if Clinton does win the presidency, this will force the church to re-think the issue of women in leadership. If the church, in general, remains dogmatic about not having women in key leadership roles, then those churches will dye a slow death (my opinion). I am not saying that the pastors are men and then women can be “directors” of ministries. This is a side step of the issue that people outside the church can see right through. If a woman can run the country, why can’t a woman be a leader of a church? That will be a question that many outside the church will ask the church. Now, I understand that there are churches that have women pastors and elders. I am not thinking about these churches. I am talking about the churches who are still passionate and dogmatic about this issue.

This issue just stood out to me the most of all the issues Kimball wrote about. All the other issues are valid and the church needs to think, pray, and have tough conversations to become more effective in ministry. I would say that this is a must read for any church leader who is serious about being used by Christ.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

thanks for the thoughts on this. I have read Dan's other books and thought, well, this will be just like the others. But, maybe I will check it out.

Dan Kimball thanks you too, if I actually do buy the book.

I will give you a ring sometime.

Bruce Hunt said...

Give me aring - I would love to talk with you. Yeah, I think this book really comminicates Kimball's heart too. The other books were just bandwagon books.